Friday, February 20, 2009

The Ugliest Bread I'll Ever Love

I am a bread lover. It's true. My hips don't lie. My family loves bread too. Our bread habit has been getting a little out of control lately and today while I was making the shopping list I had this epiphany. Why am I spending all this money on our addiction to bread when I could make it! My sister posted a recipe on her and her friend's cooking blog and I figured for the price of one loaf of bread, I could make tens of loaves of bread. No brainer.

I got all the stuff I needed at the store. I was fired up. I put the kids down for naps and got to work. I felt so domestic. I even put on my pear and apple printed apron over my bulging pregnant belly. "Does it get anymore June Cleaver than this?" I wondered as I happily put the first few things in my capable Kitchenaide mixer. Now, I have misplaced my breadhook for this fantastic machine somewhere during the three moves it has made with me. "No problem," I thought. "I'm sure the cookie paddle can handle it." And it did...for a while. But really, we're talking 12 cups of flour. That's a whole lotta flour. It makes a whole lotta dough. As I watched the dough get bigger and bigger I knew I'd made a huge mistake. I should have borrowed a breadhook, better yet, I should have just bought the loaves of bread at the store. My cookie paddle was trying. My mixing bowl was bulging more than my belly. The motor was straining. I had to intervene. I was lauging to myself, knowing this was still saveable and what a funny story it would make! Ha...Ha. So I dumped the half mixed contents onto my counter and thought I would go after it pioneer style. After all, I did have the apron on, right? That makes me half pioneer right there. FYI: I am no pioneer. After a pointless five minutes the dough was no closer to being mixed than when I started. And I was using words I don't think exsited in pioneer times. So I put the dough back in small doses in the mixer and let it finish the job it started. I think it felt good about itself.

I figured it was ruined, but the mixer and I had come this far, we may as well cook the damn (pardon my french) stuff. So I threw the dough into the loaf pans and let it rest the 15 minutes the recipe says. I called my sister. She assured me it would be fine, that the bread would raise in the heat of the oven and be just great. I wasn't sure I believed her, but what did we (me and the mixer...we were in this together) have to lose? I plopped the gnarly loaves in the oven. In hindsight I should have like, made the loaves into loafish shapes while I was putting the dough in the pans. But I was flustered at that point, and only cooking it as a last ditch effort anyway. And in hindsight, there were a lot of things I should have done different. Anyway, Amy was right. It turned out fine...really ugly and gnarly, but fine, and pretty tasty.


Here is a picture of how awesome Amy's turns out everytime. I'm sure Martha Stewart calls her for tips. I would if I were her.

And here are a couple of pictures of my sad little loaves.



And now for the Young Women's lesson for the day. Sometimes when we are in the middle of something, it kind of seems like the issue or our life is going to Hell in a handbasket (I know. Two swears in one post...it's the pregnancy, makes me swear like a sailor). It sometimes seems like our simple cookie paddle cannot stir the kind of sludge that life is asking us to mix. But with a little help breaking it down, we can make it turn out just fine.

But wait, there's more Young Womenness to be applied. This bread is UGLY. There is no doubt about that. It looks like it's been used for a football practice or something. But you know what? It made my house smell good. And it tastes good. So sometimes it isn't all about what's on the outside, but what's on the inside that counts.

One more. The more you do things, the easier they become. Next time, I will use a breadhook. And I will know to shape the loaves. If I did it right the first time, I wouldn't have anything to reach for, right? And I'm sure next time I will do something else wrong and learn another important life lesson. Because really, isn't that what June Cleaver was all about? Life's lessons being learned in everyday situations. Thank you June, thank you.

21 comments:

arisa said...

this is the best thing i have ever read. EVER. i laughed the whole way through and then got an uplifting moral at the end. you have salvaged what is left of my pitiful day. thank you for the laughs and for the moral...both have saved my bacon. come to think of it, bacon and thumb bread go pretty well together, don't they?

Callie said...

I also am a nightmare when it comes to yeast. I try to stay far away from it because I can't make it rise and everything I make is ugly too. But, you're right, who cares if it's ugly if it tastes good and smells good?!

snakeriverwalton said...

I am laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes- and not just at the loaves of bread- your writing is so funny. I'm glad they taste good. I love the moral at the end, especially that we all have something to give, even if we're ugly and have extra thumbs. Also, thanks for the nice comments about my breadmaking skills- of course I would not have posted the pictures of my scary loaves on a recipe blog- no one would ever try to make it. Believe me I've had loaves that looked that way, and my friend Rachel showed me how to roll them so they look good. I'll show you next time we're together. I think you're very June Cleaver, possibly more than June herself! Love ya!

Shea said...

Oh Carol. I REALLY needed to laugh after the crap of a day I have had. THANK YOU so much!! I'm so glad they turned out :)

Janet said...

Well, I almost hope my Laurel advisor is missing on Sunday so I can teach the YW lesson all these shining bits of wisdom!
Your bread is the greatest. Smells good, tastes good, and you get to have fun finding shapes in it while you eat. I bet if June Cleaver had thought of that the Beaver never would have gotten his head stuck in that fence.
You are my kind of funny, girlie.

Mindy said...

I saw the first picture before I scrolled down and thought, what the heck is she talking about? Those look great! Then I scrolled down... yes, probably the ugliest bread ever, but I totally believe you that it's tasty. It's hard to really ruin homemade bread. I love your posts. My only problem with your blog is that you don't post often enough. hint hint.

Westlund Family said...

I am impressed!

BrittanyLane said...

I was laughing so hard it hurt. I first thought the top picture was your bread. I was thinking to myself, "she's just being modest, they look just fine." Well, uh...I'm not going to lie to you... Actually, my first bread loaves were hideous, and that was just a few months ago. It gets much, much easier. Congratulations on your maiden voyage into breadmaking!

Jessica and Tom said...

Now that I have stopped laughing and crying I can say that this reminds me of the first (and only) time I have made bread. I spent a lot of time on the phone with my Grandma. My loaves looked similar and I have yet to do it again. Unless you count the frozen bread dough you can buy at the store! Next time wear pearls, I think that is what I will do. June wore them all the time and I am sure it will make all the difference.

jenn said...

I loved reading bread story and the bread looks tasty to me. :) And the way your tied it into a Young Women's lesson? GENIOUS. pure genious.

Chele said...

so impressed. I still haven't attempted this on my own. I didn't know that you have a blog. Email me your email address so I can invite you to my blog. LOve the family picture

Kim said...

That is hilarious!!! I am seriously laughing out loud. I am just proud that you even attempted bread. I have ruined every batch of bread I have ever made and they have all been in a bread maker. So that should make you feel better.

Keith Morse said...

I just attempted bread for the first time recently and had a similar experience. I spent many hours on the phone with Keith's mom trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I have since come up with a couple good tips. I'll share them with you...but not here. I've been wanting to make bread again but I'm out of yeast and keep forgetting to buy it...and bread...yes, we're out of both

Keith and April said...

And I'm sure you know this but Keith didn't actually say that, it was me. He hasn't even read this

The Neads said...

you should put this blog into the hall of fame of blogs... it was soo funny.. I promise if you keep trying the bread will turn out right.. I have been making bread for 8 years now and it is finally turning out right.. it probably won't take you that long.. oh if you could see the first batch I made... aughhhh...

Maydi said...

I hope you see this message!!! We are going to have Jill's bridal shower at Color Me Mine in SLC on Aprill 11 at noon. I don't know if we are going to lunch before, after or order in while we are there. I will let you know when we figure it out. Love the bread by the way. Talk to you soon

Mindy said...

Carol, you better not be giving up on blogging! At least the writing on your blog... I don't care if you read everyone else's. ;) I LOVE reading your blog.

Sidney said...

I am still wondering why you don't write books!!! Carol you are pregnant! Yeah!!! Congrats! I didn't know! Anyways, whenever I come up to Idaho we can get together as well. And Arisa too! I haven't seen her in over a decade! Anyways, congrats again and I love your ugly bread!

Kat Archibald said...

oh cousin - you make me smile!!! If i'm ever feeling down i just ready your blog and i'm smiling again!!!

CRAZY OLD BROAD said...

I loved your post about bread. It certainly brought back some memories of baking bread as a young girl. I was in a 4H club and did a demonstration on baking bread, also made it for judging at the county and state level fairs for 4H. I loved the shapes. the most inmportant thing is you gave it a try, good for you

Virginia Davis said...

I laughed until I nearly wet my drawers! You are sooooo funny, even Lucille Ball (Lucy) would be jealous. You should have seen my first batch of bread....it could have been used for brick mortar. Keep trying though and it'll be perfect.