Friday, January 6, 2012

It is 2012. For Reals.

Well, once again I find myself staring at a 3 month gap on the blog wondering how to possibly fill in my two dwindling readers (if that, I'm counting on some family keeping me on the reader...please family?) on the happenings of the last while. I've decided a list for most (Fresh! Innovative! Lists are the new paragraphs!!). And Hank's birthday will, of course, receive it's own post. So here goes.

Pretty much the whole three months can be summed up by saying we've really been enjoying this little man Boone of ours.



He really is a total joy to have around. He is an observer so far, very attentive of what's going on around him, but not too quick to jump in on the action. Not only because he can't jump, I don't think... I think he's just a little reserved. He's totally worth staying up for. And also not cleaning my house for. I like to stare at him and make him dance and interact with the other kids far more than I enjoy mopping, picking up toys, anything of that nature. Please excuse this if you happen to visit my home.

With the joy of Boone, we got so many visitors. I will admit that one of my worries when finding out I was expecting Boone was that no one would get to see him. Imagine my joy when all of my siblings found their way down here. I am still overwhelmed with how happy that makes me.

Amy came first, to help me. She was such a welcome sight to my tired eyes and to the attention- hungry eyes of my three older babes. We were able to visit with Andy and Kandice for a few days and it fed our souls. Tom and Joan came right before Thanksgiving and it was a dream vacation for us. We played so hard and my kids enjoyed their kids so much that they are still talking about it daily. I feel so blessed that everyone made the effort to come here, it buoyed me up more than any of them will ever know. Love my family.

While Tom and Joan were here, we blessed Boone. It was a great day, low-key, and great. I really wanted to get a picture of all of us, the Mortimers and the Blatters at the church, but I forgot while we were there. Boo. Here is one of us when we got home, pretend the Morts are in it too, okay?


If it makes you feel better about me forgetting to get a picture of the whole group, I also forgot my diaper bag at the church. With our checkbook and credit cards in it. Oh, did I mention I also had Matt's debit card because I borrowed it the night before the blessing? Oh, did I also mention I discovered it Monday morning as the cars were completely loaded (children included) ready to head to the beach for the week? Yeah. It may be safe to say I wasn't firing on all cylinders. Thank heavens for a Relief Society President's baby, who had a blow-out so she had to come home from her errands on the other side of town, I could run get the key to the church. That kid's poop saved my hide, I tell ya.


The Saturday after Thanksgiving we went and walked around La Cantera (a fancy schmancy outdoor mall) with some friends and Lindy got her ears pierced on a whim. Well, if you call me talking her into it a whim, which I do, so it was a whim. :) We also stopped in at Neiman Marcus and I saw a dress for sale for $7,000. Really? Do you know what I could do with that kind of cash? We promptly left Neiman Marcus.


December brought Matt's birthday. I'm not gonna lie. I was homesick. Matt's birthday weekend always coincides with the Rigby tree-lighting parade and scones and hot chocolate at Browlims. We made up for it though by discovering the best Mexican Food in San Antonio and taking the kids to the mall to mail their letters to Santa.




Up next in our busiest month was Hank's birthday. It rocked. He gets his own post. Stay tuned.

On my birthday I became another year older and wiser too. Or at least I care less about being wise, which in itself is wisdom, right? Oh, deep.

Christmas was superb. It was strange not having family to party with, but we hung out with some friends and made the holiday our own. Santa spoiled the kids and we had a secret Santa that spoiled us all. We enjoyed the holidays immensley and all were sad when we had to return to our regularly scheduled lives.

So here we are. 2012. If I were to sum up 2011 in one word, it would be stretchy. I was stretched; physically, emotionally, spiritually. I can honestly say that I have never stressed or sweat as much as I did last year. I can also say I have never had more powerful witnesses of the Lord's hand in our lives on an extremely individual and personal level. I'm looking forward to taking some extra deep, relaxed breaths in 2012.

I'm also looking forward to blogging more. I would rather not try to sum up 3 months at a time while trying not to sound boring. It will be much more fun to focus on the little amazing things that make my life exceptional. Like the other day when I was going to get in the shower. Luke asked me why and I said that I was sweaty. Luke replied with, "You no shower. Me spit you clean." And then the darling spat all over my face in a raspberry fashion. Now I ask you, does it get any better than that?

Happy 2012!

12 comments:

arisa said...

does getting one's ears pierced entitle one to grow a foot taller? lindy is looking so grown up! please give all your kids raspberry-style kisses from me. shower or not, they're adorable.
ps. i will sleep better tonight knowing that you did a new post. relief!

arisa said...

pps. i loved the word stretchy for 2011. i think it is a perfect summary.

Mindy said...

I'm a reader of your fantastic blog! Post when you can... I always enjoy reading. :) And I liked your sum up of 2011... stretchy is a good word.

BrittanyLane said...

That is so awesome that you had so much family come to visit. I wish we could come visit... Maybe in a year or two. You have had a very eventful 3 months! I love the picture of the kids mailing their letters to santa. Precious! Miss you guys.

Also, how the heck did we live in Rigby for 3 1/2 years and never know about the tree lighting parade?

Kim said...

I love reading what you are up to. Keep it up.

snakeriverwalton said...

Wow- 4 kids on the sidebar was a little startling. But so cute.

Cara said...

i read your blog!!! and luke is quite possibly the funniest kid ever...me spit you clean"...DYING laughing!

Westlund Family said...

Thanks for the update! Glad things are going well!

mort said...

What no planking pictures? And it does get better than being spit on, I promise you it does! (As I sit here in my STRETCHY pants, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ahhhhhh. I'm tired.

arisa said...

new pictures on the side! so cute! ya'll should be in GQ.

OurLittleFamily said...

Carol...can I just say I love your posts! So glad you are here in TX! You are such a great friend and I can always guarantee you are going to make me laugh by the funny things you say!

Love the picture of Boone! Such a QT!

Emily Haney said...

I spit on my computer screen when I burst out laughing about Luke spitting you clean. At our house it is, "Mom, you're belly buttons are dripping" {to clarify....yes, it has everything to do with nursing}