Name the movie the title comes from and win a possible real prize from San Antonio (but surprise, the prize will be a gecko, which may or may not survive the mailing).
We did it. We arrived. We are there. I guess I will just do a quick wrap-up? Could be long, might be boring, will definitely be worth it. Actually, I have no right to promise it will be worth it. But I can promise long. And I hereby promise boring. With that super enthusiasm, let's get started!!
THE MOVE 2011:
I guess I'll start at the beginning. We've been worried/just really thinking about Matt's job for the last six or so months. Things at the site are shaky, and Matt has been contracting with the site. The company he was contracted out to was announcing sweeping layoffs and we weren't sure what that would mean for us. So we aced up (I know aced up is not a term but it's okay because I didn't help with his resume, so it had no made up terms in it) his resume and put it on monster and kind of forgot about it. A few months ago we had contacted a few friends in the oil industry and were really thinking that was where we were headed. Texas seemed like it was heavy on our minds for some reason. And then in late November, a company called Booz Allen Hamilton called and wanted to do an interview. The position was in San Antonio, Tx, as a contractor for the air force (should that be capitalized?). Matt said that the interview would give him good practice, he wasn't really interested in moving for a company we hadn't even heard of. So he interviewed. He was offered the position the next day. We kind of laughed it off, but told ourselves we would give it a few days to think about it. And... here we are. I really feel like we are supposed to be here. We did some research and Booz Allen (i need a t-shirt that says booz) is a great company to work for. I can't deny the things that went on during our decision making that led us to come here. So ... here we are. :)
Packing, not so fun. Saying goodbye to people I love and will only communicate with over the internets and Christmas cards, not so fun. We hit a few snags along the way, I suppose one of the worst was when the moving semi got stuck in our driveway after loading all of our earthly possessions. After three hours, an industrial-sized tow truck came and pulled him out. It was awesome. Or when we took the car in for a "trip inspection" and came out $1200 dollars later. Also awesome. But all of that is over now. The drive here took 26-ish hours from Idaho Falls. I dropped Matt off at the airport for a week of training in Virginia and drove to my sister's house in the SLC area. We spent the night and then my dear, sweet, saint-of-a-woman sister drove with me to San Antonio. It went much better than I expected it to. I dare say that I even had *gasp* fun. The kids did great, thanks to Amy, the portable DVD player, and the dollar store. After two 11 hour days in the car, we rolled into San Antonio late Tuesday night after staying the previous night in Albuquerque, NM. And no offense if you love to vacation there, but New Mexico didn't do it for me. Land of enchantment? Really? That's your slogan, New Mexico? More like Land of nochantment (oooh, clever Carol).
We took half the day Wednesday getting the key and getting to our new rental house. We had to buy a fridge, and it didn't get delivered until Friday. The kids have never eaten so much Easy Mac. The rest of our stuff got here that Friday too. Now we're just working on unpacking and getting life going down here.
Matt is liking his job. His commute is about a half an hour to 45 minutes in traffic. The office where he works has two big jets parked/mounted in the parking lot and the building is carnation pink. The entire building is an oxymoron, right? Pink, with cammo jets out front? By far my favorite detail so far.
Our house is pretty close to Lackland Air Force Base, so cool jets and big planes fly over our house throughout the day. We went to pick up Matt from work yesterday, his office is minutes from the base, and jets were taking off right over our heads, we could hear all the noises and everything.
Lindy has started school and I think she loves it. She's made some little friends already and her teacher is really nice. I think she is getting adjusted. They have a music class that they go to once a week, and she is thrilled about it.
I do have some cool pictures, but I can't find the cable to my camera...so I will have to post all the pictures later. I'm lame. I'm sorry. I just wanted to let ya'll (eh? eh?) know that we made it and that a cool post is coming soon. I promise. Please don't leave!
Oh also, I wanted to let you know that I am slowly getting around to all the blogs I've missed. They make me a little homesick though, so it might be a while. :)
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Yay!! I keep checking your blog for updates. I am so happy you made it safe and are liking it! That always makes things so much easier. I can't wait to see pictures!
Okay, that's all well and fine, but if you had to do crapola with the oil industry, why couldn't you get a job in Vernal and live by meeeeeeee? Vernal is all about oil. That's all Vernal knows.
Or wait... could my hubby get a job at the Booz place? Maybe that's the way to go here...
Yay. You have internet back!! You are too kind to label me thus, although I did earn it. Nothing had prepared me for the wasteland of New Mexico (I also apologize to the residents, but really, if you can up and move, why don't they?). I will call you later and update you on our car saga. So sad. Miss my little black Pilot friend. Oh, and the hamster died. Wish I'd noticed it before Gayle came over and pointed it out to me. I wonder how long he was dead? He never did get much attention. My word is "porussma", kind of like poor-us-Ma!
i am so glad you're there safe and sound and that everyone is doing well, but aren't things all about me? and how i miss you even though we didn't even live in the same state? it's all about me, and i miss you. even though i'm so excited for your new adventures! i'm as big of an oxymoron as matt's office building. i make a GREAT oxymoron.
Glad that you guys made it!
In fact, Ellorie just asked me two days ago if Lindy could mail her a gecko. I'm not making this up. (Please don't, by the way.)
I can't wait to see the picture of the pink building with the camo jets. Also, you are more than welcome to use the frost pictures to your liking. We miss you!!!
Oh Carol Carol.....glad to hear you made it safely to the big state of Texas. But why does it feel like you're so far away when it's just blogland that is our home? Wonderin if you're fixin up for a good ol texan accent?? You better be careful - I hear it just kind of creeps up on ya if ya hear me right. Congrats on surviving the eternal drive with the kiddos. I don't even know your kids or sister, but that is so saintly of her to do!! (Wish I had a sister)! Welcome to your new home sweet home!!
Oh, how much fun is moving! None at all! But it can be fun to get to know a new place and make lots of new friends. San Antonio doesn't know how lucky it is to have you in there, but it will, soon!
I am not surprised that New Mexico was not enchanting. John and I had a hypothetical "where would we live if we could just pick". We quickly eliminated huge chunks of the country. It was surprising how picky we are. Anyway, the southwest was one of the first chunks to go.
You must e-mail me with your new mailing address. I may or may not have something to mail you, which I may or may not have had in my possession for a full year.
Yea! I wondered if you were OK. Glad its all working out. Call us!
I have been sitting by the computer night and day just waiting and waiting to hear of your safe arrival! I am glad it was so fun and eventful.
Buy lots of ice cream to go in your new freezer, then just stick with the easy-mac. Why create a higher standard when this one is so easy and loved?
We hope you learn to love Texas, even though we aren't there to talk to you about ta...... well, nevermind.
So glad you made it ok. I wish we could have said goodbye. We will miss you terribly. Any bites on the house? Good luck on all your new adventures.
We're here in Texas, and not too far...hope we get a chance to get together soon...
The title of your post is from Dumb and Dumber, which happerns to be one of my favorite movies! I am glad that you are all somewhat settled. We have been thinking about you a lot!
Carol, I can truly say I feel your pain since we just moved to Houston from SLC in August. It is such a huge pain in the butt to move and get readjusted. I can say that I am super excited to come and visit you and go to Sea World with you guys! I'm happy for you! We might be coming in March to San Antonio if I feel like moving my big prego booty off the couch! Hang in there and call anytime!
Love,
Sid
Where are yooooooouuuuuu?
Post a Comment