Tuesday, June 24, 2008

That Totally ROCK--IED!

Well thanks to the beautiful and talented Andy and Kandice, who kept our kids, Matt and I went to Denver last weekend. I have always been skeptical of people who love to travel. I've always wondered, "what's wrong with your home? Why ya gotta go places all the time?" Oh. Yeah. Now I know. Traveling isn't so bad. Not so bad at all. In fact, if I ever run into a huge sum of money I will be doing a lot more of it.
I am not just going to give you a laundry list of what we did. I don't have all my brain function back yet, so that would be too taxing both for me to do and you to read. So I will just list our top favorite things about the mile high city.

1. The baseball games. Mets won the first, lost the second. But they were both incredibly fun. At the first one we sat on the 9th row. We were right next to the action. And we were lucky enough to have this field attendant right in front of us all night.


I had contemplated running onto the field to get Jose Reyes' or David Wright's autograph...but this guy stopped me right in my tracks. And yes folks, that mullet goes pretty far down his back, and he was the only field attendant with a fanny pack. I think that must be where he keeps his mullet conditioner.

We bring you greetings from Coors field. And trust me people, there was plenty of Coors to go around that place. I am pretty sure I got drunk from the steam in my shower the next day just getting the smell off me. That's the only way to explain the soap mix up in our hotel. It smelled really good and I told Matt that I wanted to try to find it again in a salon and get some shampoo and conditioner. So I told him it was called Tobacco. Because that's what the bottles said. He laughed a little, then went and looked at the bottle. Then he laughed a lot. It was called Torocco. Ha. Must have been the booze that one guy spilled on my foot. Must have steamed into my bloodstream in the shower... I think I've read about that sort of thing B.S. Magazine. I must have been pretttty tipsy not to be able to read. Whew. Man, that Coors must be strong stuff.

2. The artsyness of the city. This was just a dang cool town. On the street our hotel was on there were grates in the sidewalk. There were noise machines inside the grates so when we walked past them, we heard like, a cow mooing in one, or a pig oinking, or someone yodeling. It was really funny and thoughtful. I mean, it takes a city that cares to make sure walking down the street is enjoyable. And the architecture is awesome there. We have tons of pictures of buildings, but I will only put on two...because I value your time, I really do.













I absolutely love the bear peeking into their convention center. And check out the waves on this.... i think it was the public bus depot. There were just cool buildings everywhere. And all centrally located. We parked our rental car (a P.T. Cruiser I might add. Now I know what my midlife crisis will be like because, and please don't be offended if you own or love them, the P.T. Cruiser seems like a midlife crisis car to me...) at our hotel and walked everywhere. Somehow that justified all the insane eating we did (see number 4).

3. There was this place...oh this place. It was two blocks from our hotel and it was called the 16th street mall. Why did they name it this? Because it encompassed the entire street. a MILE. of SHOPPING. No need to say more. Except possibly that I now know what Heaven will be like. A mile long mall for me and a baseball stadium at the end of it for Matt. Yep, Heaven.

4. Crazy fantastic splurge-o-rific eating. Jenny Craig, Weight-Watchers, Nutrisystem need not apply. We went to lunch with my creative and ultra-cool cousin, Suzette and she took us to this little pizza place....I think I cried twice out of sheer joy. This was right in Suzette's neighborhood...I think she was embarrassed, but I can't hold back my passion simply because she will never be able to show her face there again...I just can't be restrained when near a (and pay attention because you may cry too) asparagus, red pepper, portobello mushroom, and goat cheese pizza. I know. I am misting up too, and it really was that good. And that was just one meal. I could go on for days.

5. My cousin Suzette and her ultra-modern and very very cool house. Suzette has always been uber-cool to me. And she did not disappoint one little bit. She entertained us for way longer than we should have kept her. She enthralled us with her humor and treated us to, well, you know, the blubber (both crying and caloric) fest in number 4. It was great to visit with her.

6. I know, I said I would only do five. I think I even mentioned your time being valuable to me ...well...sorry. This isn't really about the actual destination anyway. The last super thing was just being together and exploring all that cool stuff with my love, my love, my love....my endless love.

Don't we make a handsome couple?

9 comments:

arisa said...

1. i'm happy to be the first commenter. 2. i wish i could be as cool as you. 3. it looks like you had an awesome time! 4. why didn't you bring me back some of the pizza?

snakeriverwalton said...

what are you doing blogging at 7am? Why are you even up? I'm jealous about Suzette. I haven't even seen her in like, over five years. Did you see Pat?

jenn said...

ahh...it sounds like good times!! what a fun little whirlwind of a trip. i'm happy to got a little shopping in between the games! you and matt should do that more often - to texas, maybe?!?

leslie mae said...

Ya know, I've heard Denver rocked; only been to the airport though. I'm thinkin we should go! Glad you guys got to have a little vaca; we're drooling over that pizza!! Sounds like way too much fuN!!

Kandice Mortimer said...

You too are garjus! We are glad you had soooo much fun.

Shea said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!!! Oh, and I love that last picture of you two..super cute!

Kate said...

Fun, fun, fun! That bear looking through the window is totallly awesome. I think when I grow up, I want one just like it.

Nield Fam said...

Carol.

I LOVE reading about your entertaining and fun life. YOu keep me smiling. Tell mom and dad hi and welcome home! I feel like I know them becasue I have heard so much about them. But Have a wonderful time getting reaquainted.

Sidney said...

Isn't it great to get out w/out the kids! We lived in Denver one summer and i loved it! You guys look great! Oh and I'm glad you share my PASSION for food. It's like a little celebration in your mouth. All of that delicious flavor! I agree whole heartedly! Will be there on the 19th! Let's get together!