Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Birthday Party!

We had Lindy Lou's birthday party on Saturday. It was fun. We played human Candyland. We set up a big gameboard in our basement (don't get too excited...it was crepe and construction papers...hardly professional). And the kids picked the Candyland cards and went around the game. Every so often they had a challenge and had to dance or keep a balloon in the air for as long as they could. Challenging, challenging activities. I am pretty sure that billionaire business tycoon and thrill seeker Richard Branson was going to come until he heard about some of the stunts these kids were going to have to pull off. Yeah, and the scaredy cat backed out. Whatever Richard Branson, whatever. I should clarify that none of that Richard Branson stuff is true. I am a liar. I lie. It's what I do. Not all the time...just when filthy rich thrill seekers come into the converstation (or if I am ever asked about if I was popular in high school. I will lie right to your face, so watch it, punk). Speaking of high school (can I bring up a subject I first talked about in parenthesis? Any grammatical geniuses out there, Amy? Can ya help me out? Well I am going to talk about it anyway even if I am breaking grammatical rules...because rules, especially grammar ones, cannot hold me down), I saw yet another person from highschool at Walmart yesterday. Email me privately if you want the details because this isn't the kind of blog where I just drop names for my personal gain, unless you count Richard Branson...but that doesn't count because we are great friends with each other (just don't ask him...he lies even more than I do and will probably lie right to your face that he has never heard of me. Whatever Richard Branson, whatever).

Were we talking about something? Oh Right. Child's party...My child... got it. So the party was fun. Lindy did take a spill while (SHOCK) pretending to be a horse. She was barefoot downstairs and snagged her toe on the concrete (and don't give me guff about having a birthday party in the unfinished basement, We put down both Crepe and Construction papers...so let's not get all huffy here). But even though she was in real pain she came back to the party and had a good time. I was at a bit of a loss. What do you do when your child is injured at her own party? Stop the party? Send kids home? We just continued the party and Matt stayed pretty close to Lindy to help her out during her bursts of crying. I hope the kids didn't find it too traumatic. The song, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to," has never made so much sense to me as it did that day. So here are a few pics from the gala.

And yes, I made the Barbie cake, thank you very much. Unfortunately Barbie met with an untimely seperation from her legs. In my day they made a barbie who's legs broke off and then went back on. It wasn't until I had snapped the first ball socket that I realized this was one barbie that all the king's horses and all the king's men would NOT be putting back together again. No worries though. Matt has a plan. We are just going to super glue Barbie's legs back on. I mean how often do you really move a barbie's legs anyway...either that or give them to Hank for a snack.


One of the "challenges" of the Candyland game was to get their picture taken. They were doing their best smile in this one. You should click on this and look at it bigger if you want to see Lindy's grimace of pain. She is trying to smile, gotta love her, she's up for a party even after an injury.


I put this picture in for two main reasons. The first is LOOK AT THAT LOOT! This child made a serious haul. Serious. She has had so much fun playing with all her new stuff, all I can say is WOW! The second reason I put it on is to tell all of you of the glory of drugs. Not the street kind as they have no glory. I am talking about Tylenol. Once that sweet nectar was in her system she forgot (almost) about the toe and really had fun. Thank you Tylenol, thank you. If you ever need anyone to be in a commercial for your fabulous product, just talk to Richard Branson, he has all my numbers.

9 comments:

jenn said...

Sounds like a fabulous party! Love the cake. :) Sorry about the barbie legs...the just don't make things the same anymore, do they? And poor Lindy Lou's toe. That tylenol is worth it's weight in gold!

Kim said...

I have been waiting for this post. My kids keep telling me about playing Candyland, and I couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Now I get it. I can be a slow mother sometimes.

Shea said...

Sounds like a great party!

The cake..very nice! I stopped making cakes a long time ago. They never seem to work out for me!

I'm sorry about Lindy's toe! I'm glad she made out in presents though..totally worth the pain, right? 8)

snakeriverwalton said...

How I would have loved to go through the real gumdrop forest...

Sidney said...

I must be not with it in the richest people in the world because I had to google who the heck Richard Branson was. Now I know. I've seen him before... personally. He came to my house for dinner last night. We talked about you. J/k! I would e-mail you, but I don't have your e-mail. But I am curious to see who you ran into at Wal-Mart. Didn't your mom make the barbie cake for you a few times. I totally remember that cake. And I am very impressed! You are a cake decorating genius!!!! We are coming in July so lets get together!

snakeriverwalton said...

sidney, don't feel bad b/c i didn't know who Richard Branson was either, I just didn't have the energy to even google him until you inspired me. Sometimes it's the little things that get us moving along, like being shown up. Carol, BTW how did you get so skinny? Is is the barbie legs?

Kandice Mortimer said...

Happy Mother's Day Carol!

snakeriverwalton said...

from sarah- Happy Birthday Lindy. I'm sorry I couldn't come to the birthday. I just feel a long ways from you. I really feel bad. Thanks for the note.sarah

snakeriverwalton said...

Say LOVE SARAH (that's sarah yelling at the typist!)